Friday, March 09, 2012

Face Off Episode 209

Greetings to my Children of the Night!

Holy cow, I know it's been forever. This Party Like A Pinup stuff for Pinups for Pitbulls has been taking over my life! It's for such a good cause though. I hope y'all don't mind.

Today I realized I still haven't caught y'all up on Face Off. Oh my word I am slacking! Today I'll post about episode 209- Dinoplasty, and tomorrow I should have episode 208 (the one I missed) up.

Dinoplasty was a really cool episode. It actually set records for viewership, at least according to Face Off's Facebook page. The remaining artists were sent to Los Angeles Museum of Natural History to wander the dinosaur wing for inspiration. Their goal this week was to create dino/human hybrids. After each artist decided on their dino and did some sketches, they headed back to the lab to begin work.

There was no guest judge this week, instead Cleve and Constance Hall showed up to give some pointers and tips. The Hall's had a mini series back in October called Making Monsters, and starting next week they will have their own series called Monster Man. Their appearance was a giant plug for Monster Man, which is more than likely going into the Face Off slot after the finale next week. Anywho, on to the creatures.


Sue: Her Hipster/Girl Power dino didn't go over too well with Glenn. However Ve adored it. Glenn actually couldn't get past the concept to look at the sculpt. Funny enough no one mentioned the sculpt; it didn't look that impressive to me. Sue chose the dinosaur she did for it's bright colors and the Mohawk in the back. 
image source
RJ: He also went a little clever with his Veloci Rapper. (he he he get it? Velociraptor... yeah never mind. I thought it was funny) Once again Glenn didn't like the concept but at least this time he could get past it to appreciate the sculpt and the make-up. Patrick really liked the flow from head to tail. Personally, I loved the details. The dino 'bling' sold it for me.
image source
Matt: Matt did a Holy Roman Emperor dinosaur. Seeing as how he chose the Tyrannosaurus Rex, I thought the emperor angle was clever. In the end though, his creature looked nothing like a dinosaur.  Ve liked the chest plate but the rest of the judges agreed with me; more demonic, less dinosaur. 
image source

Ian: My home town boy did it again with his Triceratops. I loved this idea. His was the most dino-y of all the creatures. It had very impressive hands and feet, along with the the head piece. The beak even looked a little slimy. While Ian was doing his application he ended up nixing the fat suit feeling it looked to comical. Later Glenn stated he wished the character had a barrel chest. *facepalm* Oh well, Ian still did an incredible job. 
image source
Rayce: Rayce chose his dinosaur for it's silhouette and he definitely used that to his advantage. He had some serious problems getting his latex to work right though. The tail stared out as a total disaster. However no one seemed to notice. They were too busy praising his face sculpt. The over sized eyes were just stellar.
image source
This week was a double elimination presented in a different format. Instead they chose who was going on to the finale. Rayce won this week, and with good reason too. Ve even said it made her like blue paint jobs. Both Ian *squee* and RJ were moved on the the finale as well. This meant that Matt and Sue were eliminated. Thanks to the Universe! I was getting so very tired of Sue and her whining. Was she talented? Maybe, but I couldn't get past her personality. 


Overall I loved the episode and can't wait for the finale. Living in Florida this means I've already heard about casting calls for next season. I'm so thrilled. I loved the last two seasons and I hope this show lasts quite a while.





No comments:

Post a Comment