Thursday, March 15, 2012

Face Off Episode 210

Greetings children of the Night.

Alas, the winter season of Face Off is over. Yet, there has been a promise of a summer season. This makes me one happy zombie.

The season finale was interesting. Each of the three contestants chose a film genre: sci-fi, fantasy, or horror, and had to create three characters. All the contestants from this season came back to create teams to help each artist realize their vision. Michael Westmore even came in to mentor the finalists. Can I just say I am shocked it took them two seasons to tap that?

Each of the make-ups had to survive a vigorous dance routine. This episode was a clone of the zombie episode from last season with the song Zombie by Natalia Kills. If you've never heard it, shame on you. Here's the link. The dance was performed in front of a live audience who got to vote on their favorite. The judges still picked the winner but they could take the audience vote into consideration.

Ian had horror. For his team he chose Matt, Sue, and Tara. They created a Lucifer type character with two hell hounds. Glenn loved the concept but didn't feel the paint job was cohesive. Patrick loved the white Lucifer. I agree with Patrick. I was impressed with Ian's concept going back to the original definition of Lucifer as the bringer of light. Everyone agreed that he had an incredible and impressive sculpt but a very flat paint job.

image source

image source

image source

image source
Rayce had sci-fi and his team consisted of Jerry, Miranda, and Heather. His concept was of a light and a dark entity tearing apart a female entity. He used a concept of four dimensions when creating his characters. They were absolutely beautiful and created a shadow like effect across the stage when they stood in a line. Sadly though, they showed the most wear at the the end of the dance number.
image source
image source

image source

image source
 Lastly RJ had fantasy. His team was Beki, Brea, and Athena; "RJ's Angels." His concept was a little off. Honestly, I didn't even get it watching. He created an evil alchemist, Mother Earth, and a phoenix. Ve felt Mother Earth should have been prettier but Patrick loved the way the vines followed the muscle in her extremities. Even after a major change in the sculpt, the phoenix still ended up looking like an over sized parrot.
image source

image source

image source

image source
The winner of this season was Rayce. I was a little disappointed, I would have liked to see Ian win but I am more than impressed he made it to the season finale. All three of the finalists with have *no* problem finding work in the future.


I was a bit disappointed in some of this season. It reminded me a lot of last season. Over all though the show is still a lot of fun. I'm also very pleased with the show they moved into the Face Off slot, Monster Man. Looks like I'll have something else to watch on Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. I FREAKIN LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH. YAY! I found somebody else who loves this stuff too!! Are you watching Monster Man now too? Please say yes!
    LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh absolutely! I am loving monster man. Did you see his miniseries in October Making Monsters? I'm thinking about replacing my weekly Face Off post with a Monster Man discussion.

      Thank you for reading. It means a lot. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes! Do it!! I just think he is so cool!

      Delete