Thursday, January 26, 2012

Face Off Episode Three

Hello Everyone! Sorry I've been pretty absent lately. I've been feeling really really lousy lately. I actually woke up with another migraine today. However Face Off was on last night and I *really* wanted to do my post. Have you been enjoying the season of Face Off as much as I have? Last night's episode was not one of my favorites. While body painting is cool, it really isn't anything amazing, I like the monsters better.

Rock your body. Yeah I knew from the get go this was going to be a body painting challenge. Shame Nix got the ax last episode. This would have been a moment for him to shine.

(image source)
The foundation challenge for this episode was unique. Each randomly selected team were given a model with amazing contacts. Each artist got 15 minutes to work on a character based on the contacts the model was wearing. After the 15 minutes were up the artist ran back  to their team and tagged in their team mate. It was a very very odd sort of relay race. Each artist went through twice, trying to create this character. The models were hidden behind a divider so the other team members couldn't see the creature in progress. This meant the first artist had to make the vision clear form the start. The four looks were a zombie, a "star princess", an alien, and a demon. Can I just point out that Brea was a complete fail with her "star princess" concept? This was the only picture I could find. Now imagine this with a blue bob wig! It looked like my 6 year old playing dress up. *shakes head* The alien won, and Beki scored immunity for the spotlight challenge. 

The spotlight challenge was to create album cover art for hip-hop artist Asher Roth's upcoming album, Is This Too Orange? (side note I have *no* clue who Asher Roth is...) Each randomly selected team of two were given a background to choose with two nude models. Each artist could only work on their model so the concept had to be solid. One model was going to be a blend job, while the other was a 'character' interacting with the backdrop.

Tara & Jerry: They chose a black and white backdrop. The concept was a tagger painting the line "Is This Too Orange?". Yeah... no color, no contrast, and Tara's paint job was really transparent.
(image source)

Sue and Heather got the weirdest backdrop of all, a skateboarding elephant? They created another elephant handing the skateboarding one a peanut, while the blend is supporting the elephant.

(image source)

Race and Beki had a very dark and dismal scene. It's a dank, secluded barn, with a noose hanging in the middle. These two went very conceptual with a bright orange character trying to rescue the background from a dark fate. Honestly? I don't get it.
(image source)

Ian and Miranda had a very simple back drop, a park bench. They had a really hard time coming up with a concept and I think they seriously flopped. This was a vague attempt and being very safe, and they didn't even manage that. Ian's paint job was good but Miranda's blend was awful.

(image source)  
RJ and Athena also went very conceptual with their pool background. Their models are throwing chakra balls at each other. (I actually got this one) I love their paint job.

(image source)
Brea and Matt ended up with the most complex backdrop, a wall full of shoes. Matt simply blows me away with his blend job here. He fashioned a stencil for the shoes and you actually lose his model in the background. Admittedly I was not impressed with Brea's basketball player. It wasn't anything to write home about. 15 minutes before the challenge was over Brea's model collapsed from dehydration and had to be rushed to a hospital. She got a second model and a second chance but that meant another 6 hours painting for a very long 12 hour day.
(image source)

Needless to say Brea and Matt took the day. Matt ended up winning the challenge for his amazing blend work with the wall of shoes. Ian and Miranda were the worst group of the night and they sent Miranda home. I honestly felt Jerry and Tara's was far worse. Oh well... that's two weeks in a row for Matt. His work is impressive.

Rumor has it Tom Savini is the guest judge next week! I simply cannot wait. I love his work. Here is a sneak peak of next week's horror monster challenge. Have a Terrible Thursday and hopefully I'll be feeling well enough to get a couple more posts in this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment